Tulsa International Airport and Tulsa Riverside Airport employees, consultants, and contractors have established and implemented environmentally friendly operational initiatives since 1978. These initiatives have resulted in reduced energy consumption, lower operational costs, and decreased use of natural resources. Efforts include (but are not limited to):
- Cardboard, paper, plastic, glass, and aluminum recycling in administrative areas, public areas and from participating vendors;
- Post-consumer paper products in all restrooms;
- Limited thermostat controls to +/- 3 degrees;
- Automated energy controls adjust the interior lighting based on the level of natural light in the terminal;
- Incandescent runway, taxiway, and guidance sign lights at Tulsa International Airport and Tulsa Riverside Airport are being replaced with LED lighting, reducing the amount of electricity both airports use to light the airfields at night;
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations are located in the lower level of the airport parking garage;
- Construction waste diversion initiatives to repurpose construction waste and avoid landfills.
Effective November 1, 2017 all trash collected by the custodial service is either recycled or delivered to a renewable energy landfill. No trash collected for TAIT at TUL or RVS goes to the Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF).
Through December 2021, the measurable Green Initiatives recycling efforts at TUL have rerouted almost 5,445 tons of reusable materials away from the MSWLF.
Tulsa Airports Improvement Trust has created a Scor3card Team to implement and track sustainability initiatives that impact the Triple Bottom Line: People, Profit, and Planet. The TAIT Scor3card Team is working to increase sustainable choices that are better for the earth, employees, and community. If you have an idea for a sustainability initiative that would work at the airport, please email us at [email protected] or find us at www.facebook.com/tulsaairports.
We are honored to be verified Silver in Scor3card for the 2023 cycle. We have also received the award of, “Highest Scoring Member” in 2023.